Orders to the Sentry
- Take charge of this post and all government property in view.
- Walk my post in a military manner, keep always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
- Report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
- Repeat all calls from any post more distant from the guardhouse or quarterdeck than my own.
- Quit my post only when properly relieved.
- Receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and all Officers and Petty Officers of the watch only.
- Talk to no one except in the line of duty.
- Give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
- Call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.
- Salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
- Be especially watchful at night, and during the time for challenging, challenge all persons on or near my post, and allow no one to pass without proper authority.
Note: All NJROTC Cadets will sound off in a loud, clear voice when asked for a particular order as shown in the following example:
Commanding officer: “Cadet, what is the 5th Order to the Sentry?”
Cadet: “Sir/Ma’am, the 5th Order to the Sentry is: Quit my post only when properly relieved.”