Public Affairs Officer
Public Affairs Officer (PAO)
The PAO is responsible for assisting with all public relations/publicity matters affecting the unit. He/she reports to the CO/XO via the OPS officer. Under the direction of the XO, specific activities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure that press releases and/or articles are prepared and submitted to the SNSI via NSI; when approved by the SNSI, ensure all press releases and/or articles are submitted to appropriate news media each time an event of interest is scheduled and/or takes place. Media to be considered will include as a minimum local newspaper and the school newspaper.
- Establish a system that will ensure positive contact by a PAO member with each NJROTC group likely to have newsworthy activities.
- Establish communications with parents through the publication of a periodic newsletter, newspaper, or web page to be published at least once per school quarter and distributed in the MEDIA folder.
- Ensure that comprehensive files for PAO-related material are established and maintained. At a minimum, the following files are to be established.
- NJROTC news releases and list of media to which submitted.
- Copies of all news mentioning NJROTC and/or its Cadets.
- NJROTC Newsletters, Newspaper, and Web Page entries.
- Photographs of NJROTC activities arranged by subject and properly labeled as to date, event, and persons involved.
- Arrange for publicity for NJROTC activities including annual inspection, competitions, field meets, drill meets, Change of Command, fund-raisers, social events, and projects.
- Ensure the maintenance of a Unit history with such detail that a clear picture of the year’s activities is presented.
- Makes sure appropriate photographic coverage of all Unit events is obtained.
- Ensure that NJROTC pages in the yearbook properly reflect the activities of the Cadets by working with the yearbook staff on the layout.
- Ensure that fund-raising activities sponsored by the Unit are given appropriate support and publicity.
- Assist the SNSI in maintaining the Unit’s Web Home Page (if applicable). This may be done by an approved Cadet web-master.
- Maintain a point of contact listing for all local news media.